If any of you remember, we had a slight problem with our chimney a while back. Mostly, it was crumbling from the inside, spewing what I can only assume was asbestos-laden debris into our basement loudly every once in a while in what can best be described as "chimney farts". Basically, our chimney was dying a slow death that, based upon initial estimates, was going to cost us roughly around $5-6000.
Well, lucky for us we're procrastinators. We waited to fix it. And waited, and waited...
We waited so long that we decided to get a new estimate from someone else.
Today the chimney boys are fixing it in a much less invasive manner than previously discussed, and it is only costing us $1100.
(clinks glasses) Here's to procrastination!
But, if you've ever had a major repair done to your house, you know that the process can suck up an entire day, week, month or year. Today is that day for me. I can't really start any projects as I have to keep an eye out for the repair guys (they have been coming and going all day to allow certain substances drying time), I have to wrangle the cats into the front porch when they do come (pauses, gets up to open door for returning fix-it dudes), I have to be around to answer questions, and I have to monitor to make sure none of them accidentally come in through the front door and let the cats out.
So I've been sitting here at the computer (also watching TV) since 9:30-ish this morning.
A few things I've learned sitting here:
- Charmed, the TV show SUCKS. Holy crap it sucks. The only saving grace to this suctacular piece of crapola is that I get occasional glimpses of the tasty Julian McMahon. Why I am not changing the channel is beyond me.
- Chimney repair dudes can really harmonize. There are 3-4 of them down in the basement, and at one point they were singing a song to the tune of "under the boardwalk" but they sang the words "cutting the reeeeebar, down in the baaasement". It was awesome.
- According to the chimney dudes, having a cat door to the basement is not that common. They asked many, many questions about it.
- I have a seemingly unlimited capability for watching Law & Order reruns on TNT. Even the ones I've already seen 2 or 3 times.
- It's perfectly o.k. to eat leftover pizza at 11:00 in the morning.
- Planning home remodeling projects is not fun. At all. The word "tedious" comes to mind. This does not make me look forward to phase two of "Casa de Whiskey: Extremely extreme makeover". Stay tuned.
Man, I really need better cable- super duper ultra basic just doesn't cut it when you're sitting here for HOURS. Not that I don't appreciate a good Hallmark Channel movie, but...
If I'm still sitting here 6 hours from now poke me with a stick to make sure I'm not in a coma.
If I'm still here tomorrow send help. And magazines. And pudding. I like pudding.