I've got a little bit o' stuff for you today.
Part one of who-the-fuck-knows-how-many in the "Reader's Choice" (in no way affiliated with the Reader's Digest or Easy Reader) three day weekend extravaganza that I proposed here.
- For McGone, who wanted me to recreate the photo from this post (sorry, I had to substitute the beer. Forgive me.):
*The "big beer can" is kinda for Jesswundrun too as I can't get to Lacrosse this weekend. Maybe in the not-too-distant future I can get the real thing.
For Chiada, who wanted to see pictures from Fort Snelling state Park, where the Mississippi & Minnesota rivers meet, we went on an outdoor adventure yesterday.
- We saw wild turkeys on the way in:
- It was sort of under a bridge, just like you remembered:
- We hiked for a bit even though it was cold enough to freeze the snot in your nose:
- And, we saw the squirrels that normally reside in my brain (the -19+ windchill didn't seem to phase the chubby little rodents in the least). I had given them the day off and lo and behold here they were- gorging themselves stupid on bird food.
As we were already bundled up in our finest union suits and were feeling like we could handle the snotcicles a bit longer, we went to see the frozen Minnehaha Falls for my girl Patti:
- Yup. Frozen solid.
- The elusive and often misunderstood Mr. Whiskeymarie, being stalked by the evil spirit of tropical cocktails in coconut cups:
- Holy balls it was cold out. We wanted to go to this for -R-, but even we Northerners- born and bred in the frozen tundra- could take no more. Sorry.
Today, I made a little nosh for y'all.
- For Gorillabuns, I am currently drinking a concoction of Bailey's Caramel, Kahlua and Hershey's syrup. A little sweet? Affirmative. Delicious? Indeed!
- I baked for 3carnations (bread, not sweets, hope that's o.k. Although I also made an angel food cake from a box mix, if that counts.):
- I cooked for Wide Lawns- spicy chicken/veg/black eyed pea soup. Sorry, though- no official recipe. I poached a whole chicken with some salt, pepper, oregano and coriander and saved the broth. I pulled out the chicken, pulled the meat off the bones & chopped it up. In another soup pan I sauteed onions, celery, carrots and chopped garlic. I added most of the reserved broth, a can of diced tomatoes and the chicken. I simmered all of that for 20-30 minutes. Then I added a diced potato, cooked black eyed peas (I cooked my own but frozen or canned is fine), some chopped chipotle peppers, ground cumin, more dried oregano, fresh chopped parsley and cilantro and some fresh ground black pepper and simmered another 15 minutes. I added a few tablespoons of cornmeal (to thicken) and simmered 10-15 minutes more. I seasoned with salt, pepper, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of molasses. Then I ate it. Yum:
- Stacie and NotSoccerMom wanted matching "Pooter and Me" pictures. Pooter is still a bit young and wiggly (and she still has claws) for me to be forcing costumes upon her. So I decided that, instead of her dressing like me, I would dress like HER:
All furry and black and stealthy.
And for Abbs, who suggested a show at the Guthrie- I couldn't go this weekend, so I bought tickets to this in February.
Thanks for making me get all culturified and stuff!
Before you know it I'll have classed myself up so much I won't even be drinkin' Boones Farm "Strawberry Fields" no more. Here's to the future, hee-yaw!!!
And pray tell, what does tomorrow promise?
- Bikini-wearing snow bunnies!
- Tom Cruise!
- Frozen spit!
- Dating stories!
- Tongues+frozen metal!
- Maybe an overseas phone call!
- Noodles or art! Maybe!
- More cocktails?!?
- Catching up on all of your blogs!
- Telepathic garage cleaning and bathroom painting!
- Such & such!