I know I boycotted memes, but I've got nothing else today, and I can't say no to the lovely Freida Bee. I also can't figure out why Blogger insists on only letting me write in italics right now, but that's neither here nor there.
Because I'm unable to put together anything substantive today...
Ten years ago, what were you doing?
Ten years ago, I was in the final stretch of Culinary School and counting every second until I would be done. I’m glad I went, but I hated most of my fellow students by this point and needed to be the fuck away from them. Nighttime, I was working nearly full-time at my first cooking job- a medium-fancy seasonal place that was located on an old tugboat on the Mississippi river. The boat had been converted into a B&B/restaurant, but it was docked- it didn’t actually go anywhere. The boat was heavy, but it still moved slightly with the waves. After 8+ hours on board, I was usually a little “wobbly” back on land. I still consider this my favorite food job I’ve had (not counting owning my own place) and wish it still existed so I could work there part-time again. The kitchen itself was tiny- think butts to nuts- but it was horribly efficient and we all had a ton of fun. Two of us on the line could put out 200+ covers on a really busy night (we did all of the salads, appetizers and entrees- in other words, a LOT), but as fast and furious as it got, by the end of the night and after a glass or two of wine we were all friends again. I taught myself to really multi-task here, and finally learned, hands-on, what it all meant - this profession of mine. I don’t know that I would be where I am now had I not worked there first.
Five Things on Today's "To Do" List...
1.Get a few belated things in the mail & run a few mundane errands.
2. Maybe work out, maybe not.
3. Maybe shower.
4. Try to not: get in trouble, put my foot in my mouth, make promises I can’t keep, speak without thinking, lose my keys, have something stuck in my teeth, lose my pants, stare blankly at anyone, say “fuck” too much, eat too much cheese, pull anyone’s finger or punch strangers.
5. Learn Mandarin Chinese.
If I were a Billionaire, I would...
1.Buy an Island, turn into a unkempt recluse.
2. Hire a personal assassin on retainer.
3. Take yodeling lessons.
4. Hire someone to chew my food for me.
5. Start my own religion based on achieving a higher consciousness through dutiful worship of powerful aliens from the planet Partytron.
Three Bad Habits I Have...
1. Some people say I’m too successful and charming.
2. Spinning my wheels- never having time, yet getting nothing of any consequence done.
3. Procrastinating on things that need immediate attention, diving head first into things that could use a bit more thought and planning.
3.5. You. You’re a hard habit to break.
Five Places I've Lived
1. Minnesota (Duluth)
2. Minnesota (NE Minneapolis)
3. Minnesota (N Minneapolis)
4. Minnesota (Lowertown St. Paul)
5. Minnesota (Current home in St. Paul)
Five Jobs I've Had (I’ve listed a few before in another meme, I’m trying to not repeat here)
1. Plant nursery worker. (Just like Freida! This is the only reason I know anything about gardening)
2. Cook/Chef/Pastry Chef/Dishwasher/Server/Hostess/overall Kitchen whore
3. Call Girl (Just kidding- that’s my alter ego, “Champagne Misti”- not me)
4. Jewelry inspector at a wholesale jeweler.
5. Counter Girl at a Chinese restaurant (I pretty much sat and took orders for take-out. That's it.)
(This next one is my addition)
Three things I wish I could do today, but can’t:
1) Not work.
2) Win the lottery.
3) Advanced Trigonometry. I never was any good at math.